2017-2018 Electoral Targets
Election Night 2018 was a great night for Democrats on many fronts, including our fight to shift the balance of power away from Republicans before redistricting occurs in 2021.
- We won governors’ races in 8 states: Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia (in 2017).
- We flipped 6 legislative chambers: Colorado Senate, Maine Senate, Minnesota House, New Hampshire House and Senate, and the New York Senate
- We broke supermajorities in 4 chambers: North Carolina House and Senate, Michigan Senate, and the Pennsylvania Senate
- We made gains in 7 additional legislative chambers: Michigan House, Ohio House and Senate, Texas House and Senate, Pennsylvania House, and the Virginia House of Delegates (in 2017).
- We won 3 state Supreme Court races: North Carolina (Anita Earls – with her win, we’ll retain the majority), Michigan (Megan Cavanagh), and Wisconsin (Rebecca Dallet earlier this year).
- This means that — since 2011 redistricting — we’ve broken up trifecta control in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Virginia, as well as Maine.
Though Democrats today are in a much better position to fight for fair maps than we were in 2011, we must continue our fight.
- Target States
- Watch States