States Press Secretary
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
- Address your cover letter to “Hiring Manager”
- Put the title of the position in the email subject line
- Only send documents in PDF format
The National Democratic Redistricting Committee and its affiliate organizations are seeking an experienced and politically savvy States Press Secretary. This person will primarily work across the organization to plan and execute state-specific political and advocacy campaigns leading up to and through the redistricting process that will take place over the next couple of years. The ideal candidate is a team player with strong writing abilities and an interest in state-level politics. This position requires a strong work ethic, ability to think quickly in a fast-paced environment, and attention to detail.
- Helping to create and execute plans for the release of new campaigns and advance existing priorities
- Drafting press releases, statements, talking points and other materials
- Assisting with message development and information sharing, both internally and externally
- Work with national and state staff to create, plan, and execute campaigns and press events in priority states.
- Actively pitch stories about NDRC and affiliate activity to national and state-based reporters.
- Work closely with advocacy and digital teams to ensure consistent messaging across all of our platforms both offline and online.
- Help maintain press lists and distribute materials, especially in key target states
- Assist the Communications Director with projects as necessary
- Strong written and communication skills
- Experience preparing surrogates, staff, or volunteers for press opportunities
- At least 4-5 years’ experience in communications and press relations, preferably with a combination of campaign, advocacy, or policy experience
- On the record experience preferred
- An understanding and interest in politics and advocacy on both the national and state legislative level
- Experience with key regional and/or national political reporters
Equal Opportunity & Diversity
The NDRC is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. The NDRC prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the NDRC, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a NDRC employee. The NDRC is an equal opportunity employer and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.