Political Mapping Analyst
The National Redistricting Action Fund is seeking a Political Mapping Analyst in support of our mission to end gerrymandering and insure the use of fair maps in elections. The Political Mapping Analyst must have a combination of technical, problem solving and communication skills to lead small teams in complex mapping and analysis and work with external stakeholders during redistricting.
This position will be responsible for developing data acquisition and mapping protocols used in redistricting and working as a team lead in their implementation. Responsibilities will include training other staff and stakeholders on internal protocols and processes and ensuring the highest standards of mapping and analysis are used at all times. This position requires a strong work ethic, ability to focus in a fast-paced environment and extreme attention to detail.
- Develop mapping protocols
- Analysis of election data and creation of districting plans
- Develop data acquisition and management protocols
- Implement quality assurance protocols
- Develop workflows and automate processes using Python or other scripting languages
- Manage the full lifecycle of a mapping project
- Training staff and stakeholders in redistricting and mapping
- Perform and lead all phases of the data acquisition, mapping and analysis process
- Other duties as needed
- Strong commitment to the issue of fair redistricting
- 3+ years’ experience with mapping and GIS analysis and one or more desktop mapping platforms
- Setup and use of a RDBMS (Postgres, SQL Server, etc)
- Experience leading mapping and analysis teams
- Experience with spatial data acquisition and management, including projection and format conversion, data conditioning and transformation, tabular and spatial joins
- Must maintain confidentiality of all aspects of our work and consistently model professional best practices
- 3+ years’ experience with political data and political data analysis
- Experience with census data, demographics, and political geography
- A technical skill set that includes proficiency in a variety of programming and data languages/software such as SQL, Python, and R
- Experience with big data and associated tools and techniques
- Past experience with redistricting plans and tools
- In-depth experience with GIS and geospatial data, preferably political in nature
To apply for a position at the NRAF, please submit a cover letter and resume as PDF attachments on an email to email@example.com. Please address your cover letter to “Hiring Manager” and put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY & DIVERSITY POLICY
The NRAF is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. The NRAF prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the NRAF, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a NRAF employee. The NRAF is an equal opportunity employer and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.